Go Back   Gametramp > Public Genital > Ask/Tell

Old 18-Apr-2009, 23:03

Tma how to fix my virtual memory problems

I downloaded some updates, and one of them was windows genuine product whatever.
Around the same time, I started getting virtual memory errors. Something is eating up 720mb of virtual memory.
I try to log in to windows to activate windows, and I can't do it, becuase I don't have enough memory.

I even have a hard time logging into safe mode, takes a while for the login screen to pop up.

I get login error [no error listed], please contact administator, black screen, it locks up.

I have even gotten a dynamic memory error.
Old 19-Apr-2009, 08:07

Send a message via AIM to Vmag Send a message via MSN to Vmag Send a message via Yahoo to Vmag
Byob Effort

That is a toughie. I've seen that problem personally in the past, once on a Mac in the ol' school library, at once at home on the ol' shoddy public family computer.

Perhaps you could start by clearing out any unnecessary large programs you no longer use, just to clear the air and get the mojo flowing through the juju? It might not fix it, and probably won't but it'd be a start, and mojo trumps juju any day in computer matters.
Old 19-Apr-2009, 12:27

I deleted my anti virus and bit torrent in safe mode. It won't let me activate my windows in safe mode, but it completely shits out on me in regular mode.
Old 23-Apr-2009, 02:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by naguchanzilla View Post
I deleted my anti virus and bit torrent in safe mode. It won't let me activate my windows in safe mode, but it completely shits out on me in regular mode.
Sounds like you caught a pretty bad virus. I hope it's not the same one I just caught. It totally bricked my CPU. I had two options: A full re-install or a new PC. I chose the new PC and this time I run a genuine virus protection program on it (it's worth it, trust me here) and have a back-up hard-drive as well.

Seriously, get the virus protection. It's worth it. I just recovered from the results of "trying to save a buck or two."
Old 26-Apr-2009, 12:03

Say do you think that maybe it could be a memory module?
Old 27-Apr-2009, 16:37

Send a message via ICQ to Chunky Monkey Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via MSN to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Skype™ to Chunky Monkey

virtual memory errors cannot be caused by physical (read: not virtual) memory. If you are having issues with a specific process that is causing a memory leak you probably have a virus. If you are getting memory errors from multiple apps, you need to change your vm size. right click my computer --> properties --> advanced tab --> under performance click settings --> advanced tab --> under virtual memory click change --> either set it to system managed, or 1.5x your physical RAM for the minimum and 3x for the max.

Id say you have a virus though

edit: if your computer is really fucked up Id advise formatting and starting from scratch.
Old 30-Apr-2009, 15:38

I think it asked for full version of xp pro when i had an xp home edition upgrade on it. wtf?
Old 24-Feb-2010, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by naguchanzilla View Post
I think it asked for full version of xp pro when i had an xp home edition upgrade on it. wtf?
Sounds like a virus. It may not be, but you'll want to check to be sure.

Step 1. Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Step 2. Boot into Safe mode.

Step 3. Open Malwarebytes and run a full scan.

Also, reduce the number of programs that run on startup. That might alleviate the problem.

Step 1. In Run, type "msconfig".

Step 2. Go to "Startup" and uncheck everything you don't immediately use, i.e. AIM, AOL, Skype, et cetera.

Tags
mandozer the gay, memory, microsoft