Go Back   Gametramp > Public Genital > Ask/Tell

Old 24-Jan-2011, 04:03

Send a message via AIM to Vmag Send a message via MSN to Vmag Send a message via Yahoo to Vmag
Sex Awesome websites blocked/unblocked in Army networks

Exploring my limitations and figuring out which awesome websites are blocked/not blocked on the Army's unclassed network.

BLOCKED:
Hyperbole and a Half
Very Serious (HaaH forum) T_T
Encyclopedia Dramatica
Know Your Memes
NationStates
All IM services; even the workarounds
Facebook
Kotaku
Fleshbot
Erfworld (but GitP is ok?)
The Onion
Halolz

NOT BLOCKED
Gametramp (the heck?!)
Wikipedia (no pictures though)
Digger
Lackadaisy D
Brawl in the Family DD
Giant in the Playground
Dr. McNinja
Squidi
Nerf NOW (though not exactly Awesome...)
MANLY GUYS DOING MANLY THINGS!
Heck yeah Rob and Elliot!
Double heck yeah Secret of Mana Animated Theater!
ESPN
-(aslo ESP)

Sometimes I work, and sometimes I send emails to myself hoping that the person with they key will check in, so I haven't explored all the boundaries of my limitations. Feel free to suggest anything!

Last edited by Vmag; 25-Jan-2011 at 15:22.
Old 24-Jan-2011, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmag View Post
The Onion
It's likely blocked because they make fun of the government a lot.

Quote:
Gametramp (the heck?!)
It's cause we're too small to be on the radar of even the USG Good thing you didn't check GT a few days ago though. The site was 100% down for whatever reason so if you checked it and saw that you might have thought it was blocked. Good to have you, Vmag!

But how about....you try...Wikileaks?

Last edited by Kevin; 24-Jan-2011 at 15:49.
Old 24-Jan-2011, 15:12

Hey guys, let's post anti-government stuff and get Vmag banned from the internet.
Old 24-Jan-2011, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiRsTrIkE View Post
Hey guys, let's post anti-government stuff and get Vmag banned from the internet.
That's not the goal, nor is that even what it was.

I don't think the word "Wikileaks" on one page in a soldier's internet history would get him banned. Obviously I was kidding.
Old 24-Jan-2011, 17:37

Send a message via AIM to Vmag Send a message via MSN to Vmag Send a message via Yahoo to Vmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
But how about....you try...Wikileaks?
Honestly, I'm disappointed in the internet for all the pro-Wikileaks support. Yeah, I can understand disatisfaction with the government as it's run and wanting to make radical changes, but completely dumping classified stuff all over the place is more dangerous than helpful. It's like deciding to shoot a politician in the face and spray bullets into the rest of an audience. Will it change something and bring light to your views? Most likely. But it's entirely retarded.

Plus, I said this is an unclassed system. This computer doesn't have the proper clearance for the Wikileaks stuff.

Quote:
It's likely blocked because they make fun of the government a lot.
Quote:
Access Denied (policy_denied)

Your system policy has denied access to the requested URL.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

Your request was categorized by Blue Coat Web Filter as 'Entertainment;Humor/Jokes'.
If you wish to question or dispute this result, please click here.
PolitiFact works, and they don't care which side they tear up, so it's not just blocking for government dissatisfaction. Although it IS weird that it blocked a paranormal site for "alternative religions".
Old 24-Jan-2011, 18:29

Quote:
Honestly, I'm disappointed in the internet for all the pro-Wikileaks support. Yeah, I can understand disatisfaction with the government as it's run and wanting to make radical changes, but completely dumping classified stuff all over the place is more dangerous than helpful. It's like deciding to shoot a politician in the face and spray bullets into the rest of an audience. Will it change something and bring light to your views? Most likely. But it's entirely retarded.
Just like the Pentagon papers.

Oh wait.
Old 24-Jan-2011, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse the Great Tsar View Post
Just like the Pentagon papers.
Awesome, something similar happened in the past, so it MUST work today, right? I mean, it's the exact same thing and Everything. Nixon is in office, actively bamboozling the American people... Diplomatic communique, locations of infrastructure around the world that are susceptible to attack and could easily throw a monkey wrench into the world economy if disrupted, low level intelligence from the war zones and the lives tethered therein... Oh yeah, how DARE the MAN keep this a secret!

Hey, that Civil War thing was pretty successful in the past, right? And heck, we won WWII by dropping a couple of nukes on Japan-- Jesse, shall we call Nagasaki and see if they're willing to bring an end to Afghanistan?
Old 24-Jan-2011, 20:39

Quote:
That last bit is a little inflammatory given the recent events in Tucson...and also factually incorrect, since the Wikileaks releases have hurt no one but politicians. Informant names were wiped from the papers before release and when the Afghan (or Iraq, I forget which) Papers were coming out, the Pentagon pre-empted some of it and actually included more personal information than Wikileaks.

And yet the government spins it as "dangerous." To who? Their job security? Fair enough. Just play fair and have some morals (lol morals in foreign policy) and you'll stay in power, Mr. President.

Quote:
Jesse, shall we call Nagasaki and see if they're willing to bring an end to Afghanistan?
Lol, made my day.

Anyway you could try ESPN if you're a sports guy? That's interesting to keep up with stuff sometimes.

Last edited by Kevin; 24-Jan-2011 at 20:44.
Old 24-Jan-2011, 20:52

Facebook's blocked? You've been using it lol.
Old 24-Jan-2011, 21:12

Quote:
And yet the government spins it as "dangerous."
I guess being paid by them may make me a bit biased, but it's not spin. Even unclassified information is dangerous when used right. The reason we have classifications higher than unclassified is Because these things can be used against us.

Knowing how we operate, what we are capable of, what we look for, how we do it, etc et al, can be devestating. You simply have to know how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateHero329 View Post
Facebook's blocked? You've been using it lol.
I've also been visiting the blocked Hyperbole and a Half... when I'm at the MWR or USO computers. While you still can't access ED nor Fleshbot off of them, they're less restrictive than the work computers.
Old 24-Jan-2011, 23:03

Quote:
Knowing how we operate, what we are capable of, what we look for, how we do it, etc et al, can be devestating. You simply have to know how to use it.
Absolutely. Even though I'm vehemently antiwar, I obviously don't want you guys getting hurt over there over someone releasing your tactics and strategies and the stuff you mentioned.

However, I think stuff at the decision-making level should largely be public because how can we know who (and what) we're voting for if they keep it secret? Transparency is what makes representative democracy "representative."

I think people that blindly follow anything without research or just based on pure loyalty, towards a company/politician/organization/media outlet etc. are misguided, and that's an extremely dangerous thing to do.

So no worries man. I don't support why you guys are over there, but I support you for doing what you have to do (as has become cliché, but truly).
Old 25-Jan-2011, 01:38

Quote:
Absolutely. Even though I'm vehemently antiwar, I obviously don't want you guys getting hurt over there over someone releasing your tactics and strategies and the stuff you mentioned.

However, I think stuff at the decision-making level should largely be public because how can we know who (and what) we're voting for if they keep it secret? Transparency is what makes representative democracy "representative."
What applies for the battlefield as well applies to some level of global politics. If the Chinese, Israelies, Belarussians, et al know what backroom dealings we're having with either their own elements or elements in political competition, kinda makes things more difficult.

I have yet to determine what in Wikileaks, if anything, has actively helped the American people by revealing that would have damaged or hindered those same people by keeping secret up to the standard date of declassification.

All that's happened so far is revealing our hand to everyone else at the table and showing them our facial bluffing tic.

Also, turns out ESPN is kosher, which is typical since everything shuts down - Everything - whenever a game rolls around. However, progress testing my limit has been slow, as I think I just sucked up the entire base's bandwidth in this endeavor.
Old 25-Jan-2011, 13:30

Rant

Quote:
Awesome, something similar happened in the past, so it MUST work today, right? I mean, it's the exact same thing and Everything. Nixon is in office, actively bamboozling the American people... Diplomatic communique, locations of infrastructure around the world that are susceptible to attack and could easily throw a monkey wrench into the world economy if disrupted, low level intelligence from the war zones and the lives tethered therein... Oh yeah, how DARE the MAN keep this a secret!

Hey, that Civil War thing was pretty successful in the past, right? And heck, we won WWII by dropping a couple of nukes on Japan-- Jesse, shall we call Nagasaki and see if they're willing to bring an end to Afghanistan?
I was saving lives by:

Leaks= public disapproval to the war= pulling out of a country we never should've been in the first place= everyone is happy.
Old 25-Jan-2011, 15:20

Quote:
Leaks= public disapproval to the war= pulling out of a country we never should've been in the first place= everyone is happy.
Except that while that context may have worked when Nixon was mucking things up six ways to Wednesday, the context doesn't apply for today. Context, man context! Without context, we WILL be nuking Japan as the end move to all our wars!
Old 25-Jan-2011, 15:58

Quote:
Except that while that context may have worked when Nixon was mucking things up six ways to Wednesday, the context doesn't apply for today. Context, man context! Without context, we WILL be nuking Japan as the end move to all our wars!
Japan is getting rather crowded...

This is a solution.
Old 26-Jan-2011, 15:05

Send a message via MSN to wiiper77

Quote:

This is a solution.
It's the only way to be sure.
Old 15-Apr-2011, 21:31

Quote:

This is a solution.
Prophet!
Old 28-Apr-2011, 11:06

Quote:

This is a solution.
Oh my God!

You killed Kenji!
Old 28-Apr-2011, 13:09
Yeah, we did it.

Quote:
Good thing you didn't check GT a few days ago though. The site was 100% down for whatever reason so if you checked it and saw that you might have thought it was blocked.
We upgraded the servers. There's a thread telling you guys about it that was posted a week prior to it happening in Public Genital.