Go Back   Gametramp > Public Genital > Public Genital

Old 23-Nov-2010, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taepodong-2 View Post
I don't mind Rise Against so I guess that's somewhere to start. And with the exception of the solos Megadeth probably isn't that hard either. But the idea that it's going to take a while before I'm ready to even begin with black metal doesn't interest me that much.
Yeah, but if you do decide to see if you can do some death metal early, see if you like the songs i edited in there.

But some rise against songs seem pretty hard, but again, i'm absolutely not an expert. just google 'easy rise against songs' and i'm sure that will come up with a bunch of hits.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 21:37

Now I just have to try to convince my parents that a guitar is a good thing for me because I won't be sitting in front of a computer screen all day. They say they want me to do other things but any time I brought up the idea of learning to play guitar they stopped me for some reason so I kind of just gave up. Is there something wrong with me wanting to do something worthwhile with my time?
Old 23-Nov-2010, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taepodong-2 View Post
Is there something wrong with me wanting to do something worthwhile with my time?
Not at all. Perhaps they think it'll take up all of your time and money or something, but really talk to them about it i guess
Old 23-Nov-2010, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Not at all. Perhaps they think it'll take up all of your time and money or something, but really talk to them about it i guess
I already waste all my time on video games, they don't care about that so I don't see the issue here. I have a job and don't spend any money unless there's something I really want so i don't see the issue here either. Really they're just helping to reinforce my attitude that I'll think it's too hard and quit right away.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 22:56

Yea, I started out strictly metal. Smoke on The Water, Paranoid, and Iron Man we're my first songs.

And I HIGHLY suggest aspiring metal players learn the song "For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Metallica. Thats another one I started with and it's great to learn if thats what your aiming for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg92QpjRcJk

And that opening lick is Bass (RIP CLIFF), so don't worry about that.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateHero329 View Post
Yea, I started out strictly metal. Smoke on The Water, Paranoid, and Iron Man we're my first songs.

And I HIGHLY suggest aspiring metal players learn the song "For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Metallica. Thats another one I started with and it's great to learn if thats what your aiming for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg92QpjRcJk

And that opening lick is Bass (RIP CLIFF), so don't worry about that.
My first song was Find Your Way by Authority Zero.
You can buy a Hal Leonard Guitar Method book like public school's guitar classes do and learn such things like:
-Yankee Doodle
-Ode To Joy
-Sea Shanty
-AND MANY MORE!

My second song was Smoke On The Water, of course.
Old 24-Nov-2010, 07:01

I got my 6-string for $300 at Guitar Center for the 4th of July, and I got it so I could learn to play Cryptopsy songs since they're in standard B tuning. But the high C string also helps when I play solos with my jazz combo.

Also, learning Cryptopsy songs by ear is so damn hard, the production quality of their older stuff is kinda muddy. Thank god for perfect pitch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iLmF_2q7KA

Fun as hell to play, it even has a breakdown I like! (no joke)

And Taep, learn Nothing Else Matters, even I can play the first part. It's all open strings.
Old 24-Nov-2010, 17:30

Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm not Goro this time View Post
I got my 6-string for $300 at Guitar Center for the 4th of July, and I got it so I could learn to play Cryptopsy songs since they're in standard B tuning. But the high C string also helps when I play solos with my jazz combo.

Also, learning Cryptopsy songs by ear is so damn hard, the production quality of their older stuff is kinda muddy. Thank god for perfect pitch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iLmF_2q7KA

Fun as hell to play, it even has a breakdown I like! (no joke)

And Taep, learn Nothing Else Matters, even I can play the first part. It's all open strings.
Good instrumentals. Not so much a fan of the vocals, but I can't do better. And vocals aren't the point.

Here's an unedited chat box quote how pickups work, how tube amps work, how solid state amps work, and why I like tube amps.

I've highlighted the main points for your ease of viewing.
Blue is how pickups on guitars work.
Green is basically why solid state amps don't sound as good as tube amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmail Chat Box
me: Because of their construction, a transistor would work like a digital switch, having just two states, fully on and fully off. Which is why they're called "solid state"
A tube would act like a switch essentially, although sometimes this on/off state will be blurred between partially on and partially off states. Think of a tube working kind’ve like a water faucet – not just on or off. But sometimes a bit more and sometimes less. This is pretty much why Tubes sound ‘better’.
There's my damn explaination

Jude: the example was completely unnecessary... i'm not retarded...
me: lol
Well I simply was making sure you get the point...
Jude: but why would it be something other than completely on or off if it doesn't originate that way?
Sent at 11:49 PM on Wednesday
me: Why do people think they sound better? Tubes naturally distort across thir full operational range, with a very subtle harmonic distortion. This is a pleasant sounding distortion, and something that solid state amps just can't replicate.
Jude: nor can a fucking guitar...
me: I thought we were talking about distortion?
Jude: yes...
me: Guitars dont make distortion
Lol obvious
but lol wrong answer
Jude: i'm quite aware of this... i don't understand why you would want to distort to something that can't possible by replicated...
*possibly be
me: It sounds better than solid state because it's "natural." Lol...
Jude: but impossible to recreate...
and actually quite unnatural...
me: Impossible to replicate with a transistor...
It could be replicated... Just not in real time..
Jude: anything digital can be replicated with transistors...
me: Glass tubes aren't digital which is why solid state amps cant match
Jude: unfortunately, guitars are digital... you are distorting digital sound to make it analog... how is that natural?
me: How are magnets digital?
Jude: the analog pickup from the magnets are converted into a digital stream which is sent via the output to the distortion and amps...
Sent at 12:00 AM on Thursday
me: No digitalness, simply electricity
The basic science: Faraday's law of induction. It says that a changing magnetic field causes an electric field to be set up in a nearby wire, causing a current to flow if the wire is part of a closed circuit
changing of magnetic field is vibration of the string
Jude: i fail to see how that is in the least bit applicable to thiss.
that doesn't necessarily cause any change in the magnetic field...
you are suggesting that the guitar will electricute you...
me: Pickups are magnets. Strings are metal.
The strings are not in a closed circuit, so no current will flow.
Jude: but the strings aren't causing any change to the magnets themselves...
me: the wires are in a closed circuit when plugged into an amp, so current flows

the magnetic field is affected by all magnetized objects in its field.
Jude: i did not realize the strings were magnetized...
me: they're metal... they stick to the pickup if you press them together
magnetic attraction is between the string and pickup...
so if the string moves, the magnetic field is changed, unless the string moves out of the field.
Jude: how does that cause any change to the magnetic field itself, though? if you put a magnet near a fridge, the magnetic field of said magnet is still the same...
me: Not is the case with stronger magnets...
Jude: of which pickups are not...
at all.
me: Fridge and string are not of comparable size
Jude: fuck the size...
Sent at 12:10 AM on Thursday
me: if you put an applicable object (say a needle) within the magnetic field of a magnet, there will be a force of attraction between the two objects. The magnetic field now has the object as a pole and the original magnet as the other pole... This applies until it can stretch no farther
Jude: since when?
me: Get a speaker magnet. Attach a paper clip made of metal. Add paper clips to said paper clip. They will stay..
Sent at 12:13 AM on Thursday
Jude: yes, because you have temporarily aligned the magnetic poles in the paper clips, thus magnetizing them...
me: Which is what I just said
Jude: and "paper clip made of metal"??? where the fuck are you copying this from???
me: I'm not copying this from anywhere?
And some paper clips are made of plasti
Jude: well then what the fuck do you expect my paperclips to be made of???
yes, plastic with metal in it...
me: They don't work with this/
http://www.aqdi.com/pickups.htm
Jude: you sure about that?
me: I tried it a long time ago
it didnt work
Sent at 12:17 AM on Thursday
Jude: well, you are still yet to explain why i wouldn't want to digitize the sound early, seeing that only digital sounds can be legally duplicated... why wouldn't you want live sound to sound like your recordings?
me: If you're Jaywalking Is A Felony... lol... I don't know but this is how pickups work...
See, the string is made of nickel and steel (iron+carbon), materials that are ferromagnetic. That is, a magnet attracts guitar strings. When this ferromagnetic metal vibrates in the magnetic field of the pickup, that disturbs the red field lines which also cross through the coil. That changing magnetic field makes a current flow that tracks the vibration of the string, and we have a working pickup!
Jude: i really don't give a fuck how pickups work... i just want to know why you shouldn't digitize your sounds...
me: But why were you asking all these questions about it?
Jude: because it was to my knowledge that electric guitars were digital...
me: Very analog. Active humbuckers are different, and they require a 9V batter in the guitar,and they are good for metal, and they work differently.
Jude: please answer my question...
me: Because they sound fake
solid state ampssound computery and nasty
Jude: but it's the only way it can possibly be duplicated...
and there's no noticeable difference...
me: I noticed a difference in the guitar store.
Jude: yeah... because you have some serious issues... now answer the fucking question!!~!!!!!!
me: which one?
Jude: new one: how many concerts have you been to?
or rather, whose concerts?
Pros only
me: Between The Buried And Me, As I Lay Dying, Cancer Bats, Underoath, Suicide Silence.. Chelsea Grin, The Partisan Turbine, Job For A Cowboy.. on and on it goes
Jude: wow.. so... you think that every other band ever sounds nasty?
me: No?
??
Jude: how do you know? you've never heard their "natural" music...
me: what the fuck are you talking about?
Jude: there's no possible way to duplicate analog signals for distribution... you've never heard analog signals...
from any other band, that is...
Sent at 12:28 AM on Thursday
me: Well it comes out of the tube as an electric signal, so it's duplicable, just going through the tubes can't be replicated... I don't know my head hurts
Jude: it MUST be digitized to be distributed... unless you're using vinyl...
me: I don't know why, but for some reason there's no substitue for analog effects, extremely high end shit maybe, $200 Line 6, no.
--digitized...
speakers can reproduce ANY sound
Jude: but computers hooked to speakers CAN'T...
so only vinyl...
and no one uses vinyl...
me: If you hook a computer to anamp you get the tone from the tubes into recordedness
Jude: "recordedness" that must be digitized to be saved...
me: it can be playd into a microphone and sound thesame
Whichis why theres recording software...
Jude: which digitizes it for distribution...
me: So why do you have question when you know all this?
Jude: i want to know why you think there's a difference...
on stage, yes.
on vinyl, yes.
on an ipod, no.
me: which makes me want to know... HOW THE FUCK IS ANYTHING SAVED??!?!?!?!?!?!?????
MY BRAIN HURTS
Jude: by converting any analog signals into digital, then storing them as a string of bits (switches of on or off)...
me: How does the act of storing work?
Sent at 12:38 AM on Thursday
Jude: ipods use 128KBps AAC... which means 128,000 x 8 bits per second are used to reproduce the sound...
me: If you have a pattern of electricity, you cant put it in a box and make it stay the same, so how is this saved, how can it be remembered, how do hard drives work? How does a computer use the save information?
saved*
Jude: you can save patterns of electricity, but only digital patterns. analog patterns can't be stored with a switch, and thus must be converted to a digital pattern.
me: How is this done?
Jude: ask the people at intel or amd... they're the only ones who've been able to figure out how processors work... lol
me: I want to just know everything about how computers work so I can make sure my music sounds the best it can. lmao ot really
not
Sent at 12:43 AM on Thursday
Jude: unfortunately, all computer data is saved in switches that are either completely on or completely off. thus, you'll never be able to record the original sound on a computer...
Sent at 12:44 AM on Thursday
me: but it sounds close enough to be an exact match
Jude: exactly... and a high-quality solid state amp would sound as close, if not closer...
me: It has the data to use. A valve amp does not have the already produced sound to work with so it can't make the exact sound
Jude: valve amp?
me: which i suppose song bitrate is how fast the valve opens and closes to convert the analog sound to digital to play... (Valve amp is another word for solid state amp...)
Sent at 12:48 AM on Thursday
Jude: no... most pro sounds are produced with 32-bit sounds... this means that a sound frequency (represented by a number created by 32 bits) is saved at the given bitrate...
me: which is why low bitrates sound like shit
Jude: in iPod's case, 32,000 times per second...
me: and cheap solid state amps most likely have low bitrates.
Jude: ya
me: which is why I say that the line 6 sounded like shit
Jude: except that it sounded almost identical to the tube amp...
Sent at 12:52 AM on Thursday
me: but again, the distortion sounded like it was being made with a computer (which it was...)
fake...
synthesized...
guitar pro 6 distortion guitar...
lol
Jude: and tube distortion is the same damn thing, different material... and tubes have to be in vacuums...
and thus will be more expensive...
Sent at 12:54 AM on Thursday
me: Im sure the line 6 would sound fine if we used the clean channel and some effects pedals.
Jude: and it did...
me: but the built in shit is bad.
Jude: i don't remember the guy ever turning the effect on...
me: It was turned to "Insane" and later to "Clean"
Insane sounded computery
Jude: so we heard the clean channel right before we switched to the tube?
me: yeah
Jude: no wonder they sounded the same to me, then... because aside from the line 6 being digitized, they were the same... just the effects in the line 6 sounded bad due to poor sampling...
me: which the bad sampling is in 99% of solid state amps.
And is why I dun like em
Sent at 12:59 AM on Thursday
Jude: of course, the effect may have been poorly coded, as well... but that's just line 6's fault, not the tech's...
me: And I'm sure I could've spent an hour and shaped my perfect tone and loved the valve amp. But the preset should sound good nonetheless.
those things have so many twidly knobs and buttons
at least the higher wattage ones do
Jude: i seriously doubt that the knobs would make it sound any better... if it's poorly sampled, it's just going to sound bad no matter what...
me: if i turn up all the knobs on my pedal, it sounds shitty.
If I dial in a combination of settings, it sounds good.
NOTE:me: I'm going to say I don't know much about the science of valve or tube amps, only the basics. [about Line 6 ] It may have been the sample rate, or that preset may just suck and sound computery when others could sound real and amazing.
Sorry for the long assed quote, but it's rather informative if you dont know anything about guitars or amps.

Last edited by MerX Back 91; 25-Nov-2010 at 00:16.
Old 25-Nov-2010, 19:19

actually good guitars:

stupid guitar:
Old 25-Nov-2010, 22:24

Send a message via MSN to 356

I would've respected you and your opinion had you not called it stupid, I personally think they both look nice, the former being just beautiful(the middle one at least, first one looks cool and the third one has a nice finish but it looks awkward being a bass and all) and the latter being slick looking.

stop posting
Old 26-Nov-2010, 06:40

eeew hollow bodies
Old 26-Nov-2010, 08:37

I would love a hollow body Guitar.
But yea, I'm not a big fan of Ibanez.
Old 26-Nov-2010, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356 View Post
I would've respected you and your opinion had you not called it stupid, I personally think they both look nice, the former being just beautiful(the middle one at least, first one looks cool and the third one has a nice finish but it looks awkward being a bass and all) and the latter being slick looking.

stop posting
Exactly.
Old 29-Nov-2010, 17:29

I finally ordered that bass. And a guitar. And some mics. And stands. And cables. And guitar stands. Total cost... $385.73.

I have no idea how that chart is ordered. It's not chronological or reverse chronological, or alphabetical... Hm...

Last edited by MerX Back 91; 29-Nov-2010 at 17:43.
Old 30-Nov-2010, 08:14

why do you buy so much shit
Old 05-Dec-2010, 11:37

Goro how can I train someome who knows absolutely nothing about musical instruments to play bass?

Any ideas for beginning songs or tips?

Also WHY ARE THERE 4 KNOBS WHEN NONE ARE MASTER VOLUME!!?!?!

Last edited by MerX Back 91; 05-Dec-2010 at 17:55.
Old 05-Dec-2010, 14:23

Send a message via MSN to 356

not like you have to know anything about music to play a bass guitar anyway

just tell him to pluck one string the whole time he'll be renown as the best bassist in your state.
Old 07-Dec-2010, 21:49

I <3 my $100 Dean. It's so cheap, yet plays so damn well. Sounds decent too.. I plan to throw some Seymour Duncans in it and maybe do some crazy shit to it like paint it color XX Eleventy Million.

It's a good beginner's guitar - one well-suited to folks who have not yet begun to grow into their inner guitar-hero-self. As with any beginner's instrument, the Vendetta XM is not comparable to well-made instruments from the United States or Japan. If one doesn't expect high-end guitar-ness in the Vendetta's $100 form, one will be OK with the result. No, the Vendetta XM is not an Ibanez or Schecter. No, the Vendetta XM is not a USA-made Dean for the family heirloom closet. The Dean Vendetta XM is a nice-looking, great-playing instrument for beginners. It is lightt, well-featured, and actually looks different than most beginner guitars.

It's well built, but still sadly shows signs of cheapness.. In the pics you can see the holes were drilled carelessly, and I opened it up and the soundproofing was terribly applied, but the wiring was excellent.. I'm pretty sure the fretboard isn't supposed to have that discoloration, but I actually am fond of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3071.jpg (91.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3065.jpg (88.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3066.jpg (88.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3067.jpg (88.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3070.jpg (86.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3072.jpg (95.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3073.jpg (83.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-Dec-2010, 23:52

Damn it...I hope my parents bought the guitar I wanted already..its back up to $299 which means they'll probably be cheap asses and either not get it or potentially worse - get me a different one. lol.

bummer
Old 08-Dec-2010, 06:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerX Back 91 View Post
Goro how can I train someome who knows absolutely nothing about musical instruments to play bass?

Any ideas for beginning songs or tips?

Also WHY ARE THERE 4 KNOBS WHEN NONE ARE MASTER VOLUME!!?!?!
Start with scales. Lots of them. Then learn I Shot the Sheriff. Then more scales. Then learn how to play a basic blues. From there just find songs you like that are easy to play on bass and get progressively better.

Also my six string has four knobs as well and I have no idea what they do individually.

and sorry for late reply lol

Tags
i'dfuck, thrasher