Go Back   Gametramp > Public Genital > Public Genital

Old 21-Nov-2010, 20:28

Bss Discussion Guitars, Guitar Parts, Guitar Accessories, Etc.

Well a few of us here like to talk about guitars, and when we do it usually draws attention away from other stuff in the I&RC thread..

Instead of me just saying discuss and this thread being moved to the shit hole, I will post my review of EMG brand humbuckers and compare them to Seymour Duncan Blackouts.

Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They have been called "EMG killers" by many people across the internet.. I've tried a pair of EMG's in 4 different guitars, and they've all sounded the same, made of different woods: mahogany (85/81), basswood (85/81), maple(81/60), and swamp ash (EMG MH). They all sound virtually the same. Which they should not. EMG's seem to just replace the wood's tone with their own.
Seymour Duncans, however, are a whole seperate story. They still have their own sound, but the tone of the wood still has a chance to shine through. I've heard these on 2 guitars. One was basswood, the other mahogany.

On a mahogany guitar, the tone is full and punchy, or at least that's how it's 'supposed' to sound. Granted, Blackouts are made for extreme metal, and would naturally have more lows than mids, but the EMG's on a mahogany guitar sounded just the same as if I would have put them in a maple guitar. They were amazing with the light distortion, but seemed kind of "dry" on the more extreme distortion.

The Blackouts were much better sounding on the heavier distortion. They were rather loud though, which is not really a bad thing, but in a guitar store, it was a bit too loud. The EMG's were not quite that loud, but didn't seem to have the aggressiveness or gain that the Blackouts had.

When I switched to the clean channel, the EMG's sounded better overall. They are made to be well rounded, and that's a plus. It sounded almost the same as single-coil cleans, and didn't break up at higher volume.

The clean channel of the Blackouts were a bit more buzzy and the high notes didn't play that well, but they didn't sound bad either. As I said, they are made for drop tunings and distortion, not E standard and clean solos. The split coil switch made the buzzing increase and it didn't sound just right, but that's unimportant.

Overall the EMG's are better for solos and light distortion than are the Blackouts. They have minimal buzz for active pickups and they get an 8/10 overall from me, but I am not an expert so don't bash me for that. The biggest con of the EMG's are that they "steal" the tone of your guitar's natural sound of the wood and sound the same in pretty much any guitar.

The Blackouts are top of the line for heavy distortion and pinch harmonics. Every palm mute, heavy riff, and brutal breakdown sounded truly great on the Mesa Boogie amp we had rigged up in the store. The tone of the wood was able to cut through the distortion to create an epic sound that you simply must hear. 9.5/10. The cleans can use some work, but overall a great pickup, especially for hard metal.

Last edited by MerX Back 91; 22-Nov-2010 at 15:18.
Old 22-Nov-2010, 08:19

I have to change my bass strings but I don't know how

Also, how can it sound good if it's a brutal breakdown?
Old 22-Nov-2010, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm not Goro this time View Post
I have to change my bass strings but I don't know how

What kind of bass is it?

I just needed an adjective..
Old 22-Nov-2010, 15:47

Quote:

...I think everyone on this forum knows by now your opinion towards breakdowns

Anyway, I want to get either a Schecter 006 Deluxe or Schecter Omen 6...both are nice and good guitars - great for their price supposedly. Really affordable at 300 dollars and such, so I might get one of them for Christmas.

Anyone know of either of those or if I should go for it? I'm a total guitar noob and have very little experience with it, but I've been playing some easy songs lately. So I think having one would motivate me to play more. (I've been playing on my dad's Squier he rarely uses lol). So yeah, opinions?
Old 22-Nov-2010, 16:09

Not exactly a Guitar, but I plan on getting this:
Old 22-Nov-2010, 22:23

I want a guitar and I have enough money to get a mid range Ibanez with a decent amp and still have money left over but knowing me I'll think it's too hard because I won't be able to play Children of Bodom and Cradle of Filth right away, say it's stupid and quit.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 05:22

e minor, e minor everywhere
Old 23-Nov-2010, 08:55

Nevermind, I asked my bass teacher and he taught me how. Plus, it's for my six string, and it's hard as hell to find strings for it where I live.

And I'm alright with breakdowns as long as they're not chug chug one-note br00tal breakdowns. Or overused.

Taep, don't quit just because you're struggling at first. Do you think that chick from Children of Bodom started playing super fast right away? Hell no, in order to get good you just need to practice and play scales over and over until you're fucking sick of scales.
A couple months ago, I heard this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBG_2tPiOU
...and I wanted to play it right away, but I couldn't because it's really hard to get those harmonics down. Right now I can't play it, but I'm getting there with patience and practice.

Last edited by I'm not Goro this time; 23-Nov-2010 at 08:59.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 10:42

...k imma be honest here, i hadn't really ever played at all until a few days ago except for a couple chords here and there, then started a matchbox 20 song and got frustrated a monthish ago and quit. so a few days ago i decided i wanted to play a song i know and like so i looked up how to put a guitar in drop d, did it, and looked up the tabs and i know most of it now. rather easy song i'd guess if i can just jump on it like that, but here it is:

Standing in the Rain - Billy Talent
Old 23-Nov-2010, 13:08

From a guitar point a view, it's not too complicated and it has interesting chord progressions. Aside from that I can't stand the song uuuugggggghhhh

Also, changed the strings on my 4-string. The first A string I put on snapped at the machine head and almost cut my face, but I survived.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 16:12

I've learned two Kings of Leon Songs in the past week ^_^

fun shit to play,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1hgRDRc3ug
Old 23-Nov-2010, 18:35

Quote:
Do you think that chick from Children of Bodom started playing super fast right away?
It's funny because Alexi Laiho does look like a chick as well as wears eyeliner and nail polish. Probably why I'm not a super huge Children of Bodom fan anymore and enjoy their old stuff a lot more now.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 18:43

HOLY BALLS 5 STRING BASS FOR 100 BUCKS CHRISTMAS SPECIAL!!!!!

Rouge LX205B 5 String. Rouges are very affordable and I've heard great things about their quality. I'm buying this. I love bass guitars every bit as much as regular electric guitars. Especially the 5 string solos.
I like 6 string basses but they're outrageously priced.

Goro you can get 6 string 10 packs from Musician's Friend.. I'm pretty sure they ship free worldwide.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taepodong-2 View Post
It's funny because Alexi Laiho does look like a chick as well as wears eyeliner and nail polish. Probably why I'm not a super huge Children of Bodom fan anymore and enjoy their old stuff a lot more now.
But he sure can play well shit faced drunk.

Taep, I would say get a Dean Vendetta XM. It's $ 120 US, and Deans are pretty solid. If you enjoy guitar after a while, just upgrade the humbuckers. Bam. Cheap, good looking, great sounding geetar.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navig...TP0LN&ZYXSEM=0

Last edited by MerX Back 91; 23-Nov-2010 at 19:30.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 20:17

Also I figured just starting out I could learn to play Burzum, their songs don't sound really complicated guitar wise and I like them too. But I'm also under the impression when you're first starting out it's bad to start drop tuning and using distortion.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 20:45

Quote:
Also I figured just starting out I could learn to play Burzum, their songs don't sound really complicated guitar wise and I like them too. But I'm also under the impression when you're first starting out it's bad to start drop tuning and using distortion.
I've just started using distortion recently. Drop tunings, well I've been from drop G# to C# and back to E over my whole guitar experience. (Wow that sounds bad..)

Distortion makes it difficult to hear notes clearly... When you are trying to learn, you want accuracy. I used overdrive on my amp since day one. It adds minimal distortion, and sounds cool, but you can still make out every note.

So I'd say start out learning the standard shit everyone knows (Smells Like Teen Spirit, Enter Sandman, Smoke On The Water.... etc..) then going into say Blink 182 and Authority Zero.., Just simple punk songs... If you can master these you can begin the long decent into the dark with heavy gauge strings and drop tunings and distortion.

Emo, are you serious? A $400 ukulele?? I'd say get a Lanikai Tenor LU-21T or CK-C or an Ibanez UIC10 and save yourself $300-150.. I'm no uke player though.. Just my two cents.

Last edited by MerX Back 91; 23-Nov-2010 at 20:57.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 22:09

Are there better alternatives for music I can start out with? Having to play music I don't even like seems like something that would turn me off pretty quickly. I don't want to have to go through all that crap just to learn a few black metal songs.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 22:12

Zomg merx thank you for posting a link to musiciansfriend...they have the guitar i want on clearance for only $199.99, which is $100 cheaper than anywhere else I can find. Link has been sent to my parents' email.

So yeah, I love playing that song. It's kinda hard but fun and I'm getting better. Hooray for being a guitar noob so it's awesome to learn a new song:P

but is it bad the first song I'm learning is in drop D? haha when i get my own guitar, i'll keep it in drop tunings and my dad's will be kept clean at regular E so i can practice either. I think that should be a good way to go.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 22:14

Quote:
Are there better alternatives for music I can start out with? Having to play music I don't even like seems like something that would turn me off pretty quickly. I don't want to have to go through all that crap just to learn a few black metal songs.
Do you like any classic metal like Black Sabbath? That stuff can supposedly be very easy.

And if you like punk, a lot of that is easy.

EDIT:

like any of this?

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/6133308-post23.html

Last edited by Kevin; 23-Nov-2010 at 22:17.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Do you like any classic metal like Black Sabbath? That stuff can supposedly be very easy.

And if you like punk, a lot of that is easy.
I don't mind Rise Against so I guess that's somewhere to start. And with the exception of the solos Megadeth probably isn't that hard either. But the idea that it's going to take a while before I'm ready to even begin with black metal doesn't interest me that much.

Tags
i'dfuck, thrasher